Like my master suite, kitchen and office, I wanted my living room to have that same modern, minimalist and chic vibe. I wanted this room to feel and look special. I knew that I did not want to bombard the space with color. Instead, I added hints of saturated colors here and there to create a calming, yet stylish space.
In today’s new blog post, I share the 5 tips I used to create this modern, chic living space. The post features my latest YouTube video, which showcases my living room, and highlights the pieces that I use to create this space. The beauty of my living room is that even with young kids, we are able to maintain a clean sophisticated space at all times. Scroll down to the bottom to check out my photo gallery, and shop the pieces in the video. In addition to the video I offer 5 helpful tips you can use to create a living that is modern, minimal and chic!
Make sure you scroll down to check out the photo gallery and shop the pieces in my living room.
Watch my “MODERN LIVING ROOM TOUR | THE PIECES I USED TO CREATE A MODERN-CHIC LIVING ROOM” video HERE
5 tips to creating a modern/ minimalist living room
1. Less is more, so get rid of anything that doesn’t have a purpose:To create a modern/minimalist living room, you have to declutter first. I know it can be tempting to fill your home with things you might have picked up while traveling or handed down from family. When you determine you want this decor style, you have to commit to the central rule, that less is more. Put old pieces in storage and donate to good will. Opening up the space is the first step to creating peace and balance in your living room.
2. Hide what you need to keep:I know there will be a few items you simply can’t get rid of, especially electronics. If you must have items in the living room that are not appealing to the eye, camouflage these pieces. In my video I show you how I house my subwoofer in a large decorative basket. You can also keep items in closed-off cabinets.
3. Create a color palette:Before we moved and I purchased any furniture, I came up with a color palette for the entire house. This made decorating the space easy. By creating a palette you get to see how the colors flow together. You can also get a feel for what kind of vibe the colors will create when paired together. This also helps you narrow down your options and it make selecting pieces for your space much easier.
4. Stick to neutrals:Lighter neutral colors invite more light into a space and create an airy clean and chic vibe. These colors tend to brighten up the room. As someone who loves color, I have to admit it is extremely tempting to want to fill my house with color. My commitment to this decor style is strong, and I plan to stick to it! I even refused to put up my own art because the pieces I created are too colorful for the various spaces in the house. I absolutely love entering every room in the house, hence I will leave the color I crave in my closet.
5. Add hints of color in the details:Neutrals or as I like to call them “muted hues” are a perfect way to add hints of color to your living room. I used colors such as blush, green and saturated reds to add just the right amount of color to my living room. I find that coffee books and candles are great accessories for adding color to a space.
s sofa out of stock, but love this option here | blush pillows | drink table | leather rug | rug pad | marble coffee table | black art structure | Vogue & music coffee table book | blush ottoman | Brass side table | planter | large basket out of stock, but love this option here too | accent chair | marble side table | floor lamp | navy throw blanket | white face vase | black and white vase
Check out all my home content on my HOME page HERE
Will you be using the tips shared to create the perfect living room? Let me know with your comments below, thanks for stopping by!