I have always loved denim. My passion for this durable fabric lead me to becoming a denim specialist years ago. As a denim specialist, I was a go-to for a host of clients that were on the hunt for the perfect pair of denim. Leaving that job feels like eons ago, however my love for denim still holds strong. Denim has a long history that dates back as far as 1873. One hundred and forty-six years later and it is still going strong in 2019! Even with it’s long history, this fabric is always on trend. Because denim never goes out of style, every fashion designer and fashion brand creates numerous denim styles each season. Although it is always in style, the silhouettes are constantly changing to accommodate the latest trends and seasons.
As fashion evolves so does denim. Selecting the right styles for the season is crucial to being on trend. Today, denim is available in multiple colors, sizes, and styles. The extensive selection of denim makes the selection process a little overwhelming. I never thought shopping for denim was a big deal until I took up the job as a denim specialist. I heard from so many women that selecting denim was worst than picking out a swimsuit. Fit, size, how to take care of the fabric, and how does the fabric wear, were all some of the many concerns women had back then and I can bet your bottom dollar that these concerns have not change. What I hope to achieve in this post is to highlight 3 styles that are on trend, how they will work for every body type and tips on how to make these silhouettes work for your everyday life.
My first denim skirt was made by me! I took a pair of jeans and cut them up, then sewed them back up to create skirt. This was literally over 20 years ago, and they are still on trend! Although denim skirts are still on trend, not all skirts are in-style. Right now mini skirts and midi skirts are the number one and two skirt trends. Denim skirts are almost as popular as a pair of jeans as they are comfortable, and just as stylish as jeans. When sporting the denim skirt this season make sure you select one of these skirt lengths.
1. Always tuck in your top into your denim skirt, especially when wearing a mini denim skirt. Leaving your top untuck may add visual weight to your silhouette
2. Opt for light to medium wash denim to pair better with spring/summer colors and prints.
3. Denim skirts are actually most flattering when worn with heels but create a street-chic vibe when paired with casual flats like sneakers and flat sandals.
2.High-waist denim pants
Denim pants, not jeans are seriously making waves this season. Designers wanted to play around with the traditional silhouettes to create a style that was more interesting and could be worn to more occasions. With uprise of denim in the work place, this is a great option for the person who wants to stand out on casual-Fridays in the chicest way possible. The high waist denim pant mimics the classic high waist pant making it as timeless as a pair of wool pants.
1. The beauty of the high waist denim pant is in the high rise of the pant, hence it most always be showed-off by tucking your top into the pants.
2. When wearing wide full length pants, wear them with high-heels to elongate your body.
3. When wearing crop high waist pants, you are not limited to heel height. However your heels will dictate the direction of your outfit. If you want your look to be more casual, then pair your pants with flat sandals or sneakers and vice versa with heels.
3.Denim bermuda shorts
I think everyone has owned a pair of Bermuda shorts at some point in their lives, hence this silhouette is not as foreign as you think. We have seen the Bermuda short make a come back a year and a half ago, and it continues to go strong. I personally love this length as short as it is comfortable to wear. As a mom who is always on the go, I find myself constantly bending over. The traditional short hem tends to do a bad job of covering a big booty. Hence this option is not only stylish and on trend, but it’s actually more practical.
1. Like denim skirts and high waist denim pants, you don’t have to tuck in your top into your Bermuda shorts. You can actually wear it the way I did with a button down shirt dress and let the shorts peek through the shirt. They also look great under tunics.
2. Bermuda shorts look best paired with high heels. If you want to create more of a casual look pair your shorts with slippers, and other flats. This look is best for casual beach and summer attire.
3. Do not limit styling Bermuda shorts to only casual outfits. Like your average pair of jeans, Bermuda shorts look great with blazers, and dress shorts.
This spring/summer, don't hesitate to step outside of your style comfort zone, and try something new. Have fun with your denim pieces. These styles are so easy to wear and I promise will leave you feeling confident, stylish and on trend!