A stress free holiday is attainable!As much as I love the holiday season, I have to admit I struggle during this time of the year. I struggle because I have always felt like this time of year should be perfect. But the older I get, I have realized that it’s just not that serious. I have learnt that you can be successful and carve out time for yourself by implementing a few simple things to ensure you overcome the stress that comes along with trying to make the holidays special for everyone.
1. Slow downYou will be surprised by how less heavy everything feels, when you take a moment to just slow down. Be present, breathe, stop thinking about everything around you and give yourself grace. This sounds simple and fairly easy, but we all know that it is easier said than done, especially when you are running a business or working a full-time job, raising kids and a household. But you can do it. Once you slow down, you will truly see a decrease in your stress level, and you will be able to actually enjoy all good things this time of year has to offer.
2. WorkoutI find that working out is one of the best stress reliever. We just got a stationary bike, and can I tell you, it’s a game changer. I go at my own pace (I like to push myself) and sweat out my problems and always feel great after. Working out on a bike, using your body weight to get in a good workout, use machines, do yoga, even going for a walk, all helps you relieve stress during the holidays. I work out first thing in the morning to ensure, I have a clear mind and ready for the new day.
3. Take a social media breakNothing makes you feel like you don’t have control over the holidays like your social media timeline filled with people who appear to have it all done. Even if it’s just for a day or two, give yourself a break and most importantly do not compare yourself to others. Social media doesn’t deliver the entire picture of one’s life so keep that in mind the next time you want to compare yourself to someone’s pretty post on social media.
4. Buy a gift cardWe place so much stress on ourselves to buy the perfect gift or buying tons of gifts for the various people in your life. Instead of doing that opt for a white elephant or buy a gift card. We are all busy and any one worth your gift should understand if gift-giving is not your specialty.
5. Dismiss the idea of perfectionPerfection should be defined by you and not by others because we will never be able to live up to the expectations of others especially during the holidays, so let go of the idea of perfection. Instead of striving for the impossible, strive for happiness which includes just being in the moment and spending time with your loved ones. Life is not that serious, so have fun and forget the details.
Give yourself some grace this season, and let go of holiday stress. Happy Holidays and check out my Vlogmas videos on my Youtube channel. Hopefully these fun videos give you a little joy.