Working in an office environment doesn’t mean you have to look basic. You can look as stylish to work as you do outside the office. During my luxury retail career, I dressed thousands of women from corporate America. After having several conversations with my clients over the years, there was one thing I noticed across the board and that was women were happier and more efficient when they looked and felt their best.
In this post I feature work pieces that NEED to be in your closet, and pieces that are guaranteed to leave you feeling and looking your best. I also highlight 3 major fashion trends you can wear to the office, tips on how to elevate your office attire and some of my favorite stores for on-trend workwear.
w white shirt | Ladyee Boutique black scuba top | black leather pants | Christian Louboutin pumps | Chanel bag | hoop earrings | Michele watch | David Yurman bracelet
What to wear to workFirst lets established what is appropriate for work. The work environment has changed so much, hence what is deemed appropriate in one work environment may not necessarily be acceptable in another. With that said this post is geared towards a more traditional work environment, but more relaxed when it comes to work attire.
There are five key items that should live in your work wardrobe. They are;
- The suit
- A classic pair of pants
- A white shirt
- A classic dress i.e. a wrap dress or a Sheath dress
- A pencil skirt
3 major trends you can wear to work now
- The suit
- High waist plaid pants
- Animal print
Tips on how to elevate your work outfit
- Break up your suit and wear the suit pieces as separates. Pair your suit bottoms with an animal print blouse. Pair your blazers with high waist jeans on casual work days.
- Add an oversize belt to your sheath or fit and flare dress. If you are into logos, you can also pair your logo belts with your dresses.
- Wear a white crew-neck T-shirt under your suit jacket instead of a blouse.
- Layer a sleeveless dress or top with a white shirt.
- Pair your midi pencil skirt with a chunky sweater. To add a stylish flair, half tuck the sweater into the skirt to avoid looking frumpy.
- Wear extra large hoop earrings instead of pearl studs with any of the 5 work items(mentioned above). Large hoops are on trend and are sure to give any work look a style boost.
Here are some of my favorite stores for stylish, on-trend work outfits
Shop my work outfit picks from these stores
I hope this post inspires you to elevate your work attire. Let me know what's your favorite work look in the comments!
Become an ABM Insider!